On Saturday I am going to The Wedding Shop to try on a dress I had them order in from the designer… I first went to them to try on dresses many months ago and had a lovely experience. To say I’m excited would be an understatement. I’ve literally been too excited to sleep some nights! Ridiculous I know. Hopefully it won’t be a massive disappointment on Saturday. It’s the dress I keep looking at, that ticks an awful lot of boxes in terms of it suiting me (in theory) and the one I’ve put off looking at because I thought I’d easily find something else in all the other millions of shops I’ve looked in… But after trying on over 37 dresses now I still haven’t found ‘The One’ or even ‘nearly The One’ so all my hopes, rightly or wrongly, are pinned on this dress… I don’t have a plan B yet, here’s hoping I won’t need one!
My wedding dress. Not.
Perhaps rather bizarrely I’ve been having nightmares about the loos at The Barn Brasserie. I kept dreaming I couldn’t fit in the loo to go or that I had to go in the dodgy disabled loo that didn’t lock properly… All very strange. I decided it was about time I checked the loos out (I know I’m sad, I know I’m weird for worrying about these things!) and so husband-to-be and I went for a meal there last night which was absolutely delicious and I’m euphoric to say that the loos are possibly the nicest I’ve ever seen anywhere! And they are big – clearly designed for brides. Thank Jesus for that.
The Barn Brasserie
As well as trying on the dress I’ve been lusting after for months, I’m also going to see David on Saturday. My rings have come back from the engravers and I get to see the designs! I have to say I’m both excited and scared about seeing them. What if I don’t like them? Only time will tell… I will try and get photos!
After much designers angst I have at last finalised my ‘Save the Date’ design and have been liaising with the local printing company about getting them printed up. We’re looking at magnets and postcards at present. If postcards are much cheaper then we’ll go for those.
I went to Wivenhoe House today at lunchtime to take a look at all their lovely rooms (the suites and luxury suites are all decorated differently you see). I got a tour of the place and fell in love with one of the rooms (I can’t tell you too much here as it will be a surprise for husband-to-be). I have fired off an e-mail so hopefully we should be able to book it.
Wivenhoe House Hotel superior room
Okay, I’m going to very briefly skim over the fact that I haven’t posted in a Very Long Time. We won’t worry ourselves with that. I’m sure you’re only really interested in what’s happened in that time! So here we go…
Here is the current situation as it stands!
- Westwood Park has been booked for middle of May 2014 – yay!
- The Barn Brasserie is booked as our reception venue! It was love at first sight, and affordable! Check out their reservations page for a great photo of the interior!
- Photographer – booked! We have the wonderful Hannah MacGregor from Funky Photographers. I knew I wanted her as my photographer before I even got engaged! She’s that good. You should check out her website. She is Freaking Amazing. You will understand when you see her beautiful photos.
- Harpist – yes we have booked a harpist for the ceremony and the drinks afterwards, the incredibly talented and incredibly accommodating Maria Beattie. I could not be more excited about it! I was at an open day at Fennes some time back when I first heard her and I literally thought ‘I’M HAVING THAT’. The sound was just the most beautiful thing. I cannot wait. She’s also been super accommodating by getting the sheet music for a deeply geeky song from a computer game we both love (‘Still Alive’ from Portal). She is completely and utterly freaking amazing, non?
- Progress has been made with the wedding rings too! A separate post on that, too much to report here.
- I have designed our wedding invitations (okay, I did several designs and I’ve FINALLY committed to one!) and I’m rather proud of myself actually, I absolutely love them. I don’t want to spoil the surprise so that’s all I can say here…
- Evening entertainment is sorted! Two of our friends who will be invited to the wedding are magicians! And my extremely awesome and wonderful singing teacher has offered to sing in the evening (and she’s said she will get herself a pianist for the evening too!) I struggle to put into words just how grateful I am for this. I had been looking at wedding singers and no-one even comes close to her epic awesomeness. She has The. Most. Amazing. Voice. And I Absolutely. Cannot. Freaking. Wait. to listen to her on the day. I may even do an excitement wee.
- We have decided on a colour scheme with the help of Trudy Cooper from House of Colour (okay, when I say ‘we’ I kinda mean ‘me’ ;-)) I have such a lot to say about House of Colour and Trudy’s awesomeness that I will need a separate post. Bridesmaids will be dove grey, groom will wear a grey suit with an Oxford blue cravat. Pink will be included too probably in flowers and stationery. I’m thinking of something quite neutral such as ivory for the chair bows at Westwood Park as silver won’t suit the room and Oxford blue will be too much.
- I have tried on A LOT of wedding dresses. Over 37 at last count. I have yet to find The One. More on this later…
- I have created a mood board on Pinterest. It’s helped so much to see the bigger picture of the day actually and I’m now completely addicted to Pinterest. Sadly for you, I’ve made a secret board and so only I can see it 😉 I promise I will share some more of what is on there at a later date.
- A very lovely friend of ours has offered to do our wedding cake for us as a wedding present! How amazing is that? I don’t have much of an idea of what I want at the moment so I’m hoping she’ll be able to come up with ideas…
Okay, apologies for that wall of text! I will post more pictures in subsequent posts I promise. And I promise there will be subsequent posts!
Following on from my last post, after some discussion the other half and I are (still) going to try for May 2014. Given the limited time we have to save, we have set ourselves a much more affordable budget of £10k.
Super exciting news – after considerable ponderance and investigative work we have found ourselves a stunning venue where we can have our ceremony: Westwood Park.
They will allow us to have just the ceremony and photos there for a very reasonable sum indeed! OH and I went for a look around Westwood Park a few weekends ago and I have to say… W.O.W. I got excited looking at the website, but Oh. Em. Gee it is truly stunning in the flesh. I had to try and contain myself when she was showing us around.
We are on the verge of booking it, just waiting for them to get back to me with possible dates. 😀
Once Westwood Park has been booked we will need to book a reception venue. The options we are considering (that are Colchester-based) are:
Wivenhoe House is lovely but very expensive, after some enquiries it became clear that it was outside of our budget but we will almost certainly stay there the night of our wedding. When they first opened after their refurb I was given a tour of the place and their feature rooms are stunning.
I went to Mimosa for lunch today and was very very pleasantly surprised by the venue, and I have to say the food was utterly wonderful (on a par with my favourite restaurant in the world, Mussi’s). It also has the bonus of having a grand piano and a small stage. I plan to have a singer in the evening and am very excited by the prospect of telling my singing teacher (who has very kindly offered her expert services!) that she will have a small stage and the option of a pianist!
I am currently waiting to hear back from Mimosa with regards to prices.
Weekend after next we will pay a visit to The Old Siege House (I haven’t been there in a while) to assess food and venue.
Exciting stuff! Once I’ve booked Westwood Park we can then book the photographer! There is only one photographer I’m interested in having: the amazing Hannah MacGregor of Funky Photographers.
Could I be making progress at last? I would dare not speak so soon! 🙂